Sunday, October 16, 2011

This Diet Thing

Okay, it has been 2-3 weeks now and I really can't tell if I have made a lot of progress. I can tell you that I thought I was going to faint when I went on the rowing machine earlier this week. I made it to the gym and actually worked out! I did take my little ones with me and had to get off the machines more than 3 times but I actually sweated!! Now there is something I haven't done on purpose for a long time-sweat on purpose. Sometimes I wonder about people who do that. They do have a purpose for it, but do we really have to sweat to show that we are making progress? Yech!

I can truly see why people take diet pills. They don't want to do the work, but they want the results. I feel that way sometimes. I'd like to eat that half dozen of piping hot, fresh baked, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, but I don't want to "pay for my sins". Do you know how many calories that would be? That's 1320 calories!! Hello! That is nearly my whole days worth of food! They look good to me but not that good. I just have to leave the room and come back tomorrow when the heavenly smell of baked goods and melting chocolate has dissipated from the air.

My opinions are changing and so is my appetite. Now if you know me at all, you know that I have an insane love for baked goods- not just any baked good, but fresh out of the oven, made within the hour of my seeing them baked goods! I can contribute this to OSD-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have to know it is fresh. Who knows how long things have been sitting on the bakery shelf before you purchase them? And how many hands have touched it? How clean are those shelves? On and on, the questions run through my head like a horse tethered to a rope, running around in circles. SO, now that you've seen how my mind works then you can see why I have an obsession for food freshness and why I tend to make things only a mere hour or two before they need to be served. (It also explains why I am late to things that I have to take food to.)

Next subject: My taste buds have changed since this challenge has begun. I have begun to really crave earthy tasting foods like fresh spinach and especially mushrooms, RAW ones. I eat mushrooms like a chain smoker. A few an hour and my appetite is satisfied. They are low cal and all that good stuff but I really like the fact that they satisfy my constant urge to chew something. (And snuff is out of the question!) I eat a package a day and seem to be fine with it.

My family feels strange about it. Maybe you eat too many of them, they say. They tease me and say things like, "Ehhh, eating those magic mushrooms again?? or Shouldn't you have those with a pizza?"


I'm okay with that. They can say what they like about me, but don't say anything bad about my mushrooms too close to the refrigerator. They might hear those negative thoughts and wont' share their magic with me anymore..............

No comments: