Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Beef Stew, Revived!!

Okay, Sunday was a couple of days ago, but I can't help but remember this lovely beef stew I made. It had huge chunks of beef, stewed tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and a variety of spices. Ladled over a hot piece of cornbread, it was a lumberjacks dream meal."Spring chicken", who happens to not be nearly the size of a small lumberjack, was in foodie heaven. As sensitive as her stomach is and how easily it fills and bloats, I was surprised when she asked for seconds and then proceeded to request a third bowl. "Whoa, Nellie!" was my reply to that since I knew she'd never make it through the night with all of that food processing in her tummy without a shot of Guinness to push it through. She went to bed disappointed but not feeling ill which could have been the case.

Mr. came home waaaayyyy late from work and by then, I had scrubbed the pots and pans which always mean, "You are too late for me to serve you. I have moved on to my other job as a bedwarmer for short people". He served himself and said something to me which I can't remember because of the "shut-eye" position.

So, Monday comes and off to work goes Mr. He works 14+ hrs when he goes to work so we might not see him for 2-3 days, but he generates laundry and dirty dishes so we know he has been here.

Dinner, what can we have for dinner? Did I mention that Science dude is home, hacking a lung, dragging tissues and infecting us all? Dinner-okay I reallly don't have any ideas for this until I spy the hunks of beef laying in wait in the fridge. Beef soup! Oh yeah, I just have to add some broth, tomatoes, cut up whatever meat and veggies are left and put in my secret ingredient to thicken it. I had to move it to a bigger pot because Spring Chicken said it didn't look like enough. So we added more broth, secret ingredient and some tomato sauce to it. I personally though it tasted better than the stew. Oh, we served it over cold cornbread to cool it off quickly. Even California girl, the vegetarian, enjoyed her broth and veggies over cornbread crumbs.
Now to clean out the fridge for Mr.Turkey!

No comments: